|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 53, 06/28/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: PRAY AT HOME: KENNEDY ANSWER TO COURT DECISION: In a six-to-one decision, the Supreme Court rules that school children nay not recite a prayer in New York classrooms as it violates Constitutional guarantees of the separation of Church and State. At his News Conference, President Kennedy urges everyone to pray more at home and attend Church more often...
Keywords: Newsreel; Braddock, James J. (James Joseph), 1905-1974; Baer, Max, 1909-1959; Boxing; Louis, Joe, 1914-1981; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Engel v. Vitale (1962); Hindenburg (Airship); Prayer
|Universal Newsreel Volume 36, Release 97, 11/28/1963 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: PRESIDENT'S SLAYER SHOT IN DALLAS JAIL: Madness and hate erupt anew in Dallas as President Kennedy's accused assassin is shot down during a jail transfer. Here is the record as Lee Harvey Oswald walks his last mile. Two cameras record the moment as the murderer moves in. Forty-eight hours and seven minutes after the President's death, his accused slayer is dead...
Keywords: Newsreel; Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 -- Death and burial; Oswald, Lee Harvey; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Saint Matthew's Cathedral (Washington, D.C.); Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 -- Tomb
|Universal Newsreel Volume 36, Release 96, 11/24/1963 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: SPECIAL RELEASE PRESIDENT - ASSASSINATED PRESIDENT JOHN FITZGERALD KENNEDY IS DEAD AT THE HAND OF A MADMAN. LYNDON B. JOHNSON BECOMES THE 36TH PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. In the midst of cheering crowds as he rode through downtown Dallas, Mr. Kennedy fell before assassin's bullets fired from a warehouse along the route of the motorcade...
Keywords: Newsreel; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Cold War; Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 -- Assassination; Johnson, Lyndon B. (Lyndon Baines), 1908-1973
|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 75, 09/13/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: KENNEDY TOUR: CALLS FOR U.S. LEAD IN SPACE: The President tours four Space installations: Huntsville, Alabama; Cape Canaveral, Fla.; the Houston Manned Space Center and the McDonnell plant in St. Louis. He inspects our Space progress and gets highly classified reports on how far we've gone. In Houston he calls for backing in our Space effort, saying we cannot afford to lag if we want to be in the forefront of nations...
Keywords: Newsreel; Fashion; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Project Mercury (U.S.); Manned Spacecraft Center (U.S.); McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Company-St. Louis; Nanking Massacre, Nanjing, Jiangsu Sheng, China, 1937; Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1945 -- China -- Nanjing Shi; World War, 1939-19455 -- China; George C. Marshall Space Flight Center; John F. Kennedy Space Center; Space Race; Schirra, Wally; Von Braun, Wernher, 1912-1977; Phantom II (Jet fighter plane); United States. -- Marine Corps -- Marines, 6th -- History; China Marines; USS Chaumont; USS Chaumont (AP-5)
|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 60, 07/23/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description: " The original release sheet reads: KENNEDY ON TELSTAR: EUROPE SEES NEWS CONFERENCE: In the first formal test of the new communication satellite, President Kennedy's News Conference is carried "live" to European countries - a new era in instant global news. FIRST LADY AT PLAY: SHE JOINS ASTRONAUT JOHN GLENN AT WATER SKIING: An intimate portrait of the Kennedys at play as a full complement of the family, from the President's father to a bevy of children, watch Mrs...
Keywords: Newsreel; Cold War; Beatty, Jim; Player, Gary; Palmer, Arnold, 1929-; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Telstar; Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994; Telstar 1; Brumel, Valeriy; Track and field -- Tournaments -- California -- Palo Alto; 4th USSR-USA Dual Track And Field Meet; Boston, Ralph, 1939-; Rudolph, Wilma, 1940-1994; Glenn, John, 1921-
|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 39, 05/10/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description:" The original release sheet reads: FIRST LADY NAMES NEW SUB: Mrs. Kennedy christens the newest of our Polaris-equipped submarines the "Lafayette" - named for the Frenchman who contributed so much to the American revolution. KENNEDY SAYS U.S. HAS ROLE IN ECONOMY: Addressing the convention of the United Automobile Workers, the President says that his office has the duty to take part in wage and price rise negotiations...
Keywords: Newsreel; USS Lafayette; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; USS Lafayette (SSBN-616); Launch vehicles; UAW; Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994; 1961–62 FA Cup; Soccer -- Tournaments -- Great Britain; Cold War; Space Race
|Universal Newsreel Volume 35, Release 2, 01/01/1962 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: NEWS HIGHLIGHTS OF 1961 The Year 1961 was a year of international tensions compounded by crisis after crisis. CAIRO: Riots protested Lumumba's death. CUBA: A Communist regime strengthened it position 90 miles from the U.S.A. CONGO: Warfare still split this newly-created nation. LAOS & SOUTH VIETNAM: Here, again, War continued to plague both countries...
Keywords: Newsreel; Project Mercury (U.S.); Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Grissom, Virgil I; Shepard, Alan B. (Alan Bartlett), 1923-1998; Congo (Democratic Republic) -- History -- Civil War, 1960-1965; Berlin Wall, Berlin, Germany, 1961-1989; Cold War; Vietnam War, 1961-1975; Cuba -- History -- Invasion, 1961; Lumumba, Patrice, 1925-1961; Algeria -- History -- Revolution, 1954-1962; Gagarin, Yuri Alekseyevich, 1934-1968; Khrushchev, Nikita Sergeevich, 1894-1971; Thant, U, 1909-1974
|Universal Newsreel Volume 34, Issue 8: 01/23/1961 - Universal|
National Archives description: "The original release sheet reads: KENNEDY SWORN IN, NEW ERA BEGINS John F. Kennedy settles into office as the 35th President of the United States, the youngest man and the first Roman Catholic ever elected to the office. Scenes show highlights of the ceremonials and celebrations in the capital as Mr. Kennedy takes office, starting with his smiling reception by Mr...
Keywords: Newsreel; Cold War; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963; Eisenhower, Dwight D. (Dwight David), 1890-1969; Onassis, Jacqueline Kennedy, 1929-1994; JFK; Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 -- Speeches
|Mrs. FDR Tells One, 1943/09/30|
"Eleanor Roosevelt convulses audiences as she relates a whopper involving the Japs and her husband." sound of Mrs. Roosevelt speaking. (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 8,480 (1 review)
|1949 In Review, 1949/12/26|
(silent) (1) Highlights of the Year - "Politics" - Truman imitates Kaltenborn after winning election; "Cold War!" - Bonn Republic took its place; "Communism!" - Tito saluting, Chiang Kai-shek, spies arrested; animals in heavy snow; airplane crash, ship fire; "Weddings!" (2) "Atom Bomb!" - UN meeting, man speaks of impasse on international control; film of bomb explosions (no sound) (complete newsreel)
Downloads: 10,213 (1 review)
|West Point Graduation, 1947/06/05|
(1) "West Point NY: Colorful scenes of graduation exercises for 310 new 'Shavetails,' and full-dress review by the entire Cadet corps. Gen. Eisenhower and other celebrities take part in the commencement program. Grid stalwarts Davis and Blanchard receive degrees." (2) Caterpillar Landing Gear - "Wright Field, Ohio: Tractor-type landing gear, developed by the Army for quick air transport to unpaved fields, is tested...
|Cuba President in U.S., 1948/12/09|
(1) News In Brief - "Washington: Cuba's new President, Carlos Prio, arrives by plane for a five-day visit. Pres. Truman, who invited him, is on hand to greet him at National Airport as Senor Prio steps off the 'Independence.' - Truman speaks at airport; (2) Holland: "The 'Hangmen of Amersfoort,' Nazi criminals who put scores to death in infamous concentration camp, go on trial before a Dutch tribunal...
Downloads: 3,888 (3 reviews)
|Red Spy Films. Chambers Farm Yields Top Secret Documents, 1948/12/06|
"Washington: Evidence found on the Maryland farm of Whittaker Chambers, forging a new link in the chain of spy data, is examined by Congressman Nixon and Chief Investigator Stribling of the House Un-American Activities Caommittee. The film may answer a lot of questions the country is asking." - Nixon looks at microfilm, the so-called pumpkin papers, Chambers says "Hiss is lying", pictures of pumpkin patch (no sound) (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 5,131 (2 reviews)
|Navy Tests Twin Jet Fighter, 1948/11/22|
"Patuxent, MD: The Chance Vought XF7U, odd-looking jet fighter plane, goes aloft for spectacular test flights. Swept-back wings and absence of conventional fuselage give the speedy craft a wierd appearance, on the ground and in flight." (no sound) (partial newsreel).
|Berlin Airlift increased, 1948/10/25|
(1) Berlin Airlift increased (2) UN delegate speaks (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 2,102 (1 review)
|Berlin Siege. Gen. Clay Returns To Report On Red Crisis, 1948/07/22|
(1) The World Crisis - "Berlin: While the Western Allies increase their aerial shuttle into Berlin, Russia's refusal to negotiate leaves issue in doubt. The threat of a show-down brings the world close to war. East Anglia: Landing on fields used by our 8th Air Force during the war, sixty Superforts arrive on training mission. Berlin crisis lends significance to huge bombers' arrival. Washington: Gen...
Downloads: 2,694 (1 review)
|Clay speaks on Berlin Airlift,1948/10/21|
(1) Clay speaks on Berlin Airlift (2) Dewey urges unity for peace (partial newsreel).
|U.S. Films Fight Reds, 1947/10/23|
(1) "Washington, DC: "An all-star cast, including actors Robert Montgomery, Adolph Menjou, and Producer Sam Wood, take the stand to tell the House Un-American Activities Committee that Hollywood is fighting to keep communism out of motion pictures." scenes of HUAC chaired by J. Parnell Thomas and its investigation of the Hollywood 10 (2) U.S. Marks Navy Day - "The Navy reveals new methods of warfare, as the U.S...
|94 Die Airplane Crashes, 1947/06/02|
(1) scenes of airplane crashes (2) Memorial to Anzio dead (3) Polish girls to Canada in labor exchange (4) Phalanx wins Belmont horse race (5) Indy 500 auto race (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 3,665 (1 review)
|Hollywood 'Red' Probe Begins, 1947/10/20|
(1) "Washington: Hearings begin before the House Un-American Activities Committee, on charges of communist infiltration in Hollywood, Chirman Thomas outlines the scope of the probe; while Eric Johnston, head of the M.P.A., denies the threat of communist influence and states that the Reds will never succeed in Hollywood." scenes of HUAC chaired by J. Parnell Thomas and its investigation of the Hollywood 10 (partial newsreel).
|Ilse Lock war crimes trial in Germany, 1948/10/28|
Ilse Lock war crimes trial in Germany (no sound)
Downloads: 2,000 (1 review)
|Runyon Cancer Drive, 1947/05/19|
(1) Drive opens May 19, with Walter Winchell (2) pledge of allegiance in Central Park (3) fiesta in Valencia Spain (partial newsreel).
|Hitler's Heyday, 1947/02/20|
(1) Hitler Eva Braun private pictures (no sound) (2) Show biz Humanitarian award to Byrnes (3) Holland MI: Dutch tulip festival, parade (4) chimp circus (partial newsreel).
|Army-Navy Agree On Merger, 1947/01/20|
(1) Secretaries Forrestal and Patterson plan merger (2) Greeks Suffer Losses - fighting on Greek - Bulgaria frontier (3) Byrnes Says Farewell - signs treaties (4) Governorship Feud - Georgia dispute between Ellis Arnold and Herman Talmadge (5) Finery For Small Fry - child fashion show (6) Local: Fashions in Furs - mink fox in Vancouver (complete newsreel).
Downloads: 2,094 (1 review)
|New Head Of Church Installed, 1947/01/16|
(1) Episcopal Bishop Installed - "Washington: Impressive religious scenes mark the installation of the Rev. Henry Knox Sherrill as presiding Bishop of the Protestant Episcopal Churches of America. Hundreds attend the impressive rites." Sherrill speaks; (2) March of Dimes - "America falls in stel with the march of Dimes! In Washington, the First Lady and Margaret Truman officially open the drive by placing theirs, and the President's contribution, in the Missouri bottle...
|80th Congress Convenes, 1947/01/06|
(1) "Hears Truman Address - Washington, DC: For the first time in fourteen years, a Republican-dominated congress assembles to hear the presidential message on the state of the Union. He asks for moderate labor legislation and urges speeding of peace settlements." (2) Miami: Orange Bowl Parade (3) Bowl Games college football (4) Pasadena: Tournament of Roses (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,623 (1 review)
|U. S. Will Keep Faith Says Byrnes, 1947/01/13|
(1) Byrnes speech for peace, pro-UN (2) Tokyo reds demonstrate (3) War Hazard Eliminated - sodium chemical disposed in lake explosion (4) New Safety Fire Escape device (5) All-American Air Spectacle - air show, jet takeoff (6) Amateur Sluggers - golden gloves boxing (complete newsreel).
|Marshall Succeeds Byrnes, 1947/01/09|
(1) Washington, DC: "Because of poor health, State Secretary James Byrnes steps down after the arduous task of fighting for peace. General Marshall, returning from China, is named to succeed him." (2) NY harbor pier fire in Weehawken; Tokyo fire (3) Ike Denies Political Ambitions - Eisenhower speaks (4) Sking Thrills - snow skiing, slalom, ski jump at intercollegiate meet (5) British Chelsea arts ball (complete newsreel).
|Jap Films of Hiroshima, 1946/08/05|
(1) Japanese Films of atomic bomb blast at Hiroshima, released one year later (2) Underwater atom blast rocks Bikini (line down middle of film frames) Admiral Blandy commander of task force, 2nd test of Operation Crossroads, cameras point to site of underwater explosion Test Baker, mushroom cloud of explosion, carrier Saratoga finally sinks, another view of the blast from overhead airplane. (sound track cuts out at very end)
Downloads: 30,123 (2 reviews)
|Biggest Bomber, 1946/08/15|
(1) "Fort Worth TX: Newest bombing plane stands five stories high, has a range of 10,000 miles with 30 tons of bombs. it is test flown with results 'beyond expectations.'" scenes of the first flight on August 8 of the Convair B-36 'Peacemaker,' the largest Air Force bomber. (2) Brazil Honors Ike - "Rio De Janeiro: Climaxing a triumphal visit to Brazil, General Eisenhower visits Brazil's military academy and reviews its crack corps of cadets." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 3,563 (1 review)
|President on Vacation, 1946/08/19|
(1) Presidential yacht Williamsburg takes Truman on his first vacation; (2) Long distance anniversary at Paris, Ontario, for 70th anniversary of telephone (3) Churchill visits Dover.
|Monster Flying Wing, 1946/06/27|
(1) "Inglewood CA: A new chapter in aviation development is written as the twenty-five-ton Northrup flying wing takes to the air. The tailless craft has a wing span of 172 feet and will weigh fifty tons fully loaded." (2) Personalities in the News - "John W. Snyder takes office as Secretary of the Treasury. He is sworn in by Fred M. Vinson, chief justice of the Supreme court. Benjamin Fairless, president of United States Steel, is awarded the Medal of Merit by Secretary of War Patterson, for his...
|U.N. and Big 4 Adjourn, 1946/12/16|
UN has picked N.Y. site for permanent 18 acres site (partial newsreel).
|Britain's Roosevelt Memorial at Grosvenor Square, 1946/11/28|
Britain's Roosevelt Memorial at Grosvenor Square, FDR statue (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 1,182 (1 review)
|White Sands NM V-2 rocket, 1946/11/21|
White Sands NM V-2 rocket with camera makes film of earth as rocket rises and spins, 65 miles down, shows curvature of earth, "An observer in the rocket could have seen San Diego, Salt Lake City, Kansas City, and San Antonio" (partial newsreel).
|Big 4 Resume Peace Talks, 1946/11/04|
At Waldorf Astoria in New York, Molotov and Byrnes and others meet at round table (partial newsreel).
Downloads: 799 (1 review)
|Soviet's U.N. Proposals Answered, 1946/10/31|
Molotov speaks in Russian at UN General Assembly in Flushing Meadows, Warren Austin speaks in English (partial newsreel).
|Navy Day! 1946/10/21|
Officers of tomorrow's navy trained, new radar-controlled glider bomb shown for first time, air-dropped sonar buoy with sub animation, trnsmitted to destroyer for depth charges (partial newsreel).
|Twenty-one Nazi Chiefs Guilty, 1946/10/08|
Nuremberg trials, 21 Nazis to learn fate at end of 10-month trial (partial newsreel)
|Byrnes Wants All To Share Peacemaking, 1946/10/17|
Byrnes returns from peace conference, at airpost with his wife, meets with Truman, Byrnes speaks (partial newsreel).
|Truman Lifts Meat Price Controls, 1946/10/14|
Truman speaks (partial newsreel).
|Byrnes Denies Atom Threat, 1946/10/10|
Jimmy Byrnes speaks (partial newsreel).
|Pittsburgh Paralyzed By Strikes, 1946/10/03|
(1) city crippled by strikes (2) Harriman Here For New Post, to be new Secretary of Commerce, Averill Harriman speaks (3) San Marino Decorates U.S. Admiral, world's smallest republic honors Admiral Stone for helping Italy (partial newsreel)
|Gen. Clark Honored at Salerno, 1946/09/23|
Gen. Mark Clark honored, bust made (partial newsreel).
|Sec. Wallace Stirs Foreign Policy Debate, 1946/09/19|
(1) "Washington, DC: Commerce Secretary Wallace, following his soft-terms-for-Russia speech, goes to the White House, where he agrees to cancel further talks for the present. Paris, France: Scretary of State Byrnes, whose dealings with foreign powers have put the U.S. in the van of those nations combatting the spread of Communism, is shown during an important meeting with his advisory staff." scenes of Henry Wallace who says he will not resign (2) Displaced Persons - "Upper Austria: Fifteen hund...
|Monty Comes To U.S., 1946/09/13|
(1) "Britain's famed 'Hero of El Alamein' receives a royal welcome as he arrives for a United States tour. First stop is at West Point, where he reviews a full dress parade by the Cadets. Washington, DC: Met by General Eisenhower at the airport, 'Monty' goes to call on the President at the White House, and later places a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington." scenes of Montgomery visits West point, then to Washington DC, greeted by Ike and Omar Bradley...
|Air Victims Come Home, 1946/09/17|
1) "Washington DC: The mortal remains of five American airmen, shot down by Tito's fighter planes over Yugoslavia, arrive by plane from Europe. An honor guard escorts the caskets to Arlington National Cemetery." (partial newsreel)
Downloads: 2,671 (1 review)
|Byrnes Sets U.S. Policy for Germany, 1946/09/10|
(1) Byrnes speaks [partial sound] (2) Strike Ties Up All U.S. Ports (3) Puerto Rico governor takes office - Pinero first native Puerto Rican governor, sworn in, parade.
|Yugoslavia Air Victims, 1946/09/02|
(1) "Rome, Italy: Following their release at Yugoslav border, five caskets containing the bodies of American airmen shot down by Yugo fighter planes arrive at airport enroute to final burial place in the U. S." (2) "Washington DC: Re-affirming our right to send U.S. warships anywhere in the world, Admiral Halsey defends cruise of huge carrier to Greek waters and says 'We will go where we please!" scenes of carrier Franklin D...
|UN Starts Session At New Home, 1946/08/30|
Security Council meets at Lake Success, NY.